From the roof to the basement to the chimney to the windows, each part of a house plays a role. Gutters are no different and help control the flow of rain to protect the rest of the house.
With such an important role, it is important that gutters are cleaned regularly because clogged gutters are the top cause of basement water problems. How often should gutters be cleaned? It’s recommended that guttering cleaning should be done twice a year.
Cleaning a gutter yourself can take several hours and several steps can be taken to improve the functionality of your gutter system.
- Make sure to remove leaves from your gutter to avoid clogs. If there are low-hanging branch near or over your gutter, consider removing them.
- Consider installing a gutter screen, which are intended to trap rocks, leaves and other solid matter and direct water into the gutter.
- Keep an eye on the slope of the gutter. It should flow downward and any water should flow without impediments.
- Free-flowing water is important for a gutter system as each gallon of rain water weighs eight pound, potentially adding thousands of pounds of weight to your system.
- Take a look at adding downspouts to increase the gutter’s capacity. One downspout is needed for every 30-40 linear feet of water.
- Also consider getting better slope by adjusting hangers if necessary.
Hired gutter cleaning services are often able to finish the job faster, finishing in about 45 minutes for a smaller house.
According to Window Genie a 2,500 square foot, two-story home with 200 linear feet of gutters will cost between $100-$250 to clean. Bigger homes can cost more and some gutter cleaning services can do extra procedures to make sure your gutters are functioning at an optimal level.
Professional gutter cleaning services can save you time and keep you away from potential health hazards such as mold, which can grow in clogged gutters. Above all, professional gutter cleaning services can get gutters clean the right way and save you time to focus on other tasks.
Gutter cleaning is an essential job in the upkeep of a house and should be done at least twice a year. To get gutters working their best, take care to remove leaves, check the slope of the gutter and consider adding downspouts to allow for free-flowing water. While gutter cleaning can be done as a DIY project, professional gutter cleaning services and gutter cleaning technicians can do the job right and eliminate a lot of hassle in the process.
In need of help hiring a professional gutter cleaning company? Consult Angie’s List for a company in your area.