Staying comfortable is a luxury to many, but a necessity to some. While all of us may hate the heat and humidity of the summer, for many people the need for comfortable air conditioning is a priority. From elderly residents to people of all ages with breathing problems, in fact, having access to a place to stay cool and comfortable is essential. In some cities across the country, in fact, many organizations and services pay specific attention to the need for various types of air conditioners and fans for the most vulnerable to the heat. From taking up monetary collections to help pay for utility bills to accepting donations of new fans and window air conditioning units, to offering free or affordable AC repair service, there are many ways that entire communities can help keep those most in need stay cool and healthy all summer long.
Have the Hot Temperatures of Summer Arrived in Your Area Yet?
Things can heat up pretty quickly once the month of June begins, and the fact that the heat in many parts of the country continues well into the month of September means that many of the nation’s most vulnerable elderly, infants, and people who suffer from breathing disorders are at risk. For this reason, many organizations work to collect funds, services, and equipment for those most in need. Because we live in a time when the very thing that keeps us comfortable is taken for granted by many, it is important to be aware of those in our neighborhoods, from our churches, and in our communities who may need help. When it comes to air conditioning, many of us cannot imagine living without this modern convenience, at the same time others have never had a chance at this kind of comfort.
Although 66% of all homes in America have air conditioning options, the remaining 33% can suffer during these soon to be hot months of the summer. If you are fortunate enough to be one of the two-thirds of Americans who has access to comfortable and cool temperatures all summer long, perhaps you will decide to help those who are less fortunate. From donating new box fans to local shelters to donating monies to agencies that help pay for AC repair services for those in need, most of us can find at least one way to make sure that we are looking out for our neighbors and those less fortunate in our community.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the maintenance and AC repair services that are needed to keep current units running as efficiently as possible:
- The combination of cooling and heating account for about nearly 50% of the energy use in a typical U.S. home.
- Properly insulating and sealing ducts can improve the efficiency of a cooling and heating system by as much as 20%.
- HVAC manufacturers, including AC repair service technicians, agree that systems should be serviced at least once a year, although many go one step further and recommend a twice a year check. One check should take place just before the furnace needs to be used, and the other check should take place just before the air conditioning is turned on.
- Air conditioning units can last between 10 and 15 years, and changing air filters every one to three months can extend the life of these expensive and necessary units.
- it is important HVAC work is completed by licensed technicians, otherwise improper installation of a heating and cooling system can reduce efficiency by as much as 30%.
- One of the best ways to lower your energy bills is by adjusting the thermostat for the times when you are not in your house or when you are sleeping. Did you know, for instance, that for every two degrees a thermostat is lowered, property owners and renters can save approximately 5% on heating costs?
Summer is a time that many people look forward to. Children are excited to be home from school and parents look forward to long days enjoying the sunny weather and visiting pools, but for some summer is a time that is completely miserable and they depend on the help of others.